Sunday, September 27, 2009

Peer Tutoring and the “Conversation of Mankind”

According to Kenneth A. Bruffee, knowledge is the product of the “conversation of mankind.” Conversation is derived from our thoughts, which is an inward experience. Thoughts surface, not only in spoken or body language, but in written language. The goal of peer tutoring is to help those thoughts come to fruition in written language.

Bruffee begins by discussing reflective thought. Reflective thought is “organically related to social conversation” because thought stems from conversation. Bruffee illustrates the example that humans do not necessarily have to verbalize the need to dial a phone number or walk to the coffee maker. Although thought is indeed an inward experience, it is essential to conversation and social interaction.

It is also essential for writing tutors to help students by engaging in conversation in order to help those thoughts materialize in written language. Peer tutoring is considered a “normal discourse,” which refers to an ongoing conversation “within a community of knowledgeable peers.” Peer tutoring is that among individuals of equal status. This allows an opportunity for collaboration, a discussion and exchange of thoughts and beliefs, essential for the growth of knowledge.

One might disagree by stating that this opportunity is nothing more than the “blind leading the blind.” However, this collaboration is a chance for the tutor and tutee to work together by “pooling their resources.” The information that one has, but the other may lack, is what fuels the thoughts that begin the conversation that lead to knowledge. So, peer tutoring is not an occasion to engage in proofreading or editing, but rather to engage in conversation about the subject of interest.

Peer tutoring is the “extension” of the “conversation of mankind.” Bruffee points out that the study of the humanities paves the way for this for this sort of social collaboration, such as in writing. Writing tutors have the unique opportunity to take part in this conversation.

What I think...

I think I want to study this more! I am trying to decide what to write my 595 paper on, and this is similar to what I have been thinking about. The connection between thought and written language, and how this becomes a social interaction through conversation, is fascinating.

I took a language acquisition course during my undergraduate studies, and encountered theories similar to this. We studied how language evolves in social interaction and in written language. I agree with Bruffee’s argument, but I would like to look into it more so I can make my own argument.

I would like to know if Bruffee believes if knowledge is only attainable through social interaction and conversation. Or, do we have to have that interaction? But, when I think of examples of self-education I always seem to see that there was some sort of conversation that took place that paved the way for knowledge.

I think that conversation encourages self-education, and written language is a product of this.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting topic to do your 595 on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy,

    My 595 will probably be something similiar to this, but not the same thing.

    Haven't decided yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the language acquistion theory you are talking about is sociolinguistic (Vygotsky's Sociocultural LA and the Interaction Hypothesis both spring to mind.) Sociocultural Theory posits that social interaction is the only way to become competent in acquring a language is to interact socially with speakers, IH says collaberation and interaction facilitate language learning to a remarkable degree. Both are sorta awesome to read up on, in my opinion.

    As for the WC conversation, I totally saw where Braffe was going. It sometimes sounds like the WC theory is making excuses for when results aren't immediate (as in grades), but really I feel like this is another demonstration of how beneficial a WC is to creating a better writer through dialogue and without the pressure of a grade. The unfortunate thing is the prevelance of misconception making these constant reminders necessary.

    I figure they use 'peer' loosely, anyway. Most WC tutors are at the very least known writers of some repute, and often they are graduate students with extensive experience and have training programs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I see like three typos. It's late, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first encounter with Bruffee was during the first semester of my MA program at the U of Louisville. I was a new writing center tutor, and since the Writing Center Research Project (WCRP) was housed at UofL during my time there (now it's at the University of Arkansas- Little Rock), I spent 2 hours of my tutoring hours each week transcribing oral histories for the WCRP. The first interview I transcribed was between Harvey Kail and Kenneth Bruffee, and I just fell in love with Bruffee's voice and stories. He talked about the origin of the writing center and the student he worked with to create his writing center. I hope I get a chance to talk to you about this interview in class tomorrow.

    Kim, I'm really glad you liked the article.

    ReplyDelete